Hygiene with raw dog food over the summer
We’ve had some wonderful weather recently and it appears summer is finally here. When it comes to handling raw food it’s essential to maintain good hygiene, but as the temperature is on the rise it’s important that extra measures are taken to keep your home and pets safe.
Here are some tips to follow this summer:
- Store the raw food on the lowest shelf to prevent the risk of meat juices dripping down and contaminating cooked food stored in your fridge.
- Allow the food to defrost in the fridge overnight for 12 hours for meal size portions. Or you can safely defrost the food at room temperature in a clean container or in your pet’s bowl.
- Once defrosted the food should be fed within 4 days
- Clean down the surfaces where you have prepped the raw food and thoroughly wash your hands. Be careful not to touch your mouth and other areas of your home whilst preparing the food.
- Use separate bowls and utensils for your dog and wash them after use.
- It’s important not to leave raw food out for dog for too long during the summer months as bacteria grows most rapidly in warm temperatures. Allow a 20-minute serving time and any uneaten food after 20 minutes must be covered, refrigerated and served later that same day. Discard any leftovers 24 hours after defrosting.
As always, if you have any questions or want to talk to us about switching to a raw diet, pop in store for a chat. Our friendly team are always around to help.
Enjoy the warm weather with your four legged friends and have an amazing summer!